Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup). Tom Yum or Thai Hot and Sour soup is a spicy soup that originated in Thailand. Commonly made with prawns or shrimp, Tom Yum Goon (Goon means shrimp) it can also be made with chicken – Tom Yum Gai (Gai means chicken). In Thailand this soup is sometimes served with sticky rice on the side.
You cannot walk in Thailand without spotting tom yum on a menu, it is pretty much everywhere. T om Yum Soup, also is known as Thailand's Hot and Sour Soup, is one of my favorite soups. It is r efreshing and savory simultaneously, making Tom Yum Soup the perfect soup to have at any season of the year! You can cook Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) using 13 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup)
- You need 1/2 pound of chicken thigh of boneless pieces, cleaned and cut into small thin pieces (about 1/2 inch thick and 1 inch long).
- Prepare 10 – 12 of shrimp uncooked (medium size), shells removed.
- It’s 2 of tomatoes medium size , chopped into big chunks (roughly 1 inch).
- Prepare 1 of red onion medium (chopped into 1 inch chunks).
- Prepare 1 inch by 1 inch of ginger piece of , chopped into very thin round slices.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic medium size , chopped into half.
- It’s 1 tsp of red chilli powder (optional).
- Prepare 3 – 4 of kaffir lime dried leaves.
- You need a small 1/2 inch of tamarind water – ball , soaked in 1/2 cup.
- It’s 4 cups of water of.
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut milk of (fresh or canned).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of lime juice fresh.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt – (per taste).
The shrimp provides the fantastic umami flavor while the lemongrass and lime leaves add freshness to the soup. Saute the chicken and/or tofu, onion (not the green onions), half each of the ginger and lemongrass until the chicken is only a little bit pink and the onion translucent. Add the stock, fish sauce, remaining ginger and lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and (optional) serrano chilies. Pour the chicken broth into a pot and heat over medium-high heat.
Tom Yum Chicken and Shrimp soup (Thai Hot and sour soup) step by step
- 1 medium hot green chilly pepper (you can omit this if you want to keep it mild or use 2-3 if you want extra spicy).
- Wash the chicken pieces and marinate them in 1 tbsp of tom yum paste (reserve 1 tbsp paste for later in the recipe). Toss the chicken pieces into a microwave safe glass bowl with a little bit of water (about 1/4 cup) and cook for about 10 minutes until the chicken pieces are well-cooked.(If you have sensor cook or auto cook in your microwave, you could use that setting or you can also just cook the chicken on the stove). Leave the chicken pieces to cool..
- Meanwhile, take a large pot and boil 3 cups of water in it. When the water starts boiling, add the red onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chillies, the kaffir lime leaves, the red chilli powder (if you are adding it) and the 1tbsp of tom yum paste. Cover with a lid and let t cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat..
- Next add the shrimp to the pot and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Next take the chicken pieces and try to shred them a little bit using your hands (so that they are medium size pieces to eat in a soup). Add the chicken pieces into the pot along with the chicken stock. Next take the soaked tamarind ball and mash the ball with your hands to get the tamarind pulp. Strain this through a strainer (to get any seed and fibrous pulp out) and pour the thin tamarind pulp into the pot..
- Next add the 1 cup of coconut milk and stir slowly for 1 minute on low flame. Do a taste test and add salt per your taste. Put the heat off and finally add the 1 tbsp of lime juice and stir well. Enjoy the soup while its hot. You can eat this with plain white rice or a piece of fresh french bread. Tom Yum is just Yum!.
Add the bruised Thai chilis, bruised lemongrass segments, torn kaffir lime leaves, galangal rounds, and shallots. Tom yum is characterised by its distinct hot and sour flavours, with fragrant spices and herbs generously used in the broth. The soup is also made with fresh ingredients such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, lime juice, fish sauce, and crushed red chili peppers. Tom Yum Gai is Thai hot and sour soup. It often includes either chicken or shrimp, and gets its spice from nam prik pao (Thai chili paste) and Thai bird's eye chiles, and the sour from lime juice.
The Food Items You Choose To Feed On Are Going To Effect Your Health When it comes to the foods that you eat, you will notice that your overall health can be effected either positively or even negatively. It’s also advisable to realize that there are foods that you’ll need to avoid at all costs and that would be most food you find at the fast food chain restaurants. These sorts of foods are loaded with bad fat and also have hardly any nutritional value. You will be happy to know that we are going to let you know a few of the foods that you need to be consuming every day. Your overall health can be greatly enhanced by simply eating lots of berries. The volume of vitamin C that can be found in berries, is one of the primary reasons you ought to be eating berries. Another thing you will realize is that the antioxidants in berries will be higher than just about any other food that you may select to eat and this can assist with your circulatory system. Another thing you will find that these antioxidants can help you with is keeping your cells healthy, this can help your body to fight off many different diseases. While most of you have been told again and again that vegetables are good for you, and there is a really good reason why. You may already know that many of the vitamins you need each day can be found in numerous vegetables, but you will also be able to find required potassium in vegetables as well. For example, broccoli has a lot of potassium to provide you with your daily recommended allowances. Spinach can also be something that you may wish to start eating more of as it contains a lot more vitamins and minerals when compared with other vegetables. Also when you are trying to find a snack to hold you over between meals, grab a handful of nuts or seeds. You will come to find that these snack items are usually loaded with Omega-3 and Omega-6, although some nuts and seeds will have a lot more than others. Your body will use these types of fatty acids as a foundation for creating hormones which your body demands to stay healthy. A few of these hormones that are needed are only able to be made by having these fatty acids in your diet. Your primary meals should also contain fish like salmon or lean proteins, as these will also be in a position to help your health. The fact that salmon is also packed with Omega-3 is just one of the reasons why it is a good choice, but it additionally contains other necessary nutrients you will need. Protein is vital for your diet, however you don’t have to eat huge amounts, as a 3 ounces is all you really need. Additionally before cooking your steak you will want to trim the fat that you can see from it to keep from taking in extra fat. Additionally when it comes to having a dessert soon after your meals you should think about having various citrus fruits. Citrus fruits additionally provide you with vitamin C, as well as other vitam
ins and minerals that can help keep you healthy. One desert that I have always liked is orange pieces mixed together with shredded coconut and mixed together with a mild honey dressing. If you decide that your overall health is important to you, you need to take these tips to heart. The pre packaged processed foods that you can find in any store is in addition not good for you and instead you should be cooking fresh nourishing foods.